Six Parts of Yelm, Jandetin, Moving Stars

From: Stephen P Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 1996 02:46:47 EST

David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Jandetin

>Pam Carlson suggests Yelmic geases. I propose the word "stricture" so
they
>sound different from Orlanthi geases (the sort I believe still exist in
>Ralios, but elsewhere are maintained only in cults like Humakt). I think
>they are different -- breaking an Orlanthi geas is really bad (it leads
>your death), while violating a Yelmic stricture can be remedied with
intensive >purification.

While undergoing intense public embarrasment/outrage.

>Hmm, so you think there's a connection between the Eel-ariash clan (of
>Oronin) and BernEel Arashagern, who went to nearby Arir (I assume that's
>where Ariralves is; modern Doblian)? This would make BernEel Arashagern
>most likely the god of the Oronin River, i.e. Pelanda (and if it's
really
>spelled that way, it would be a Pelandan word).

I recently proposed the same thing to Peter Metcalf! And yes, I believe BernEel is the correct form, from notes Greg used while working on "The Perfect Sky".

>Jane Williams wrote of Jandetin the Avenger
>
>> as a Solar cultist he can't have been on the Ring
>
>Why not? Jardanroste Ring-Jewel managed to become a member of the
>Tarsh Ring.

So, Jandetin can be on the ring as long as Kallyr and/or Argrath murder him afterwards? Sounds like a _great_ job to me! :)

Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz> estoretic topics

Um, what does "estoretic" mean? Or is this supposed to be "esoteric"?

>I place Bijiif in Darjiin because Plentonius describes him as the
>Rival which bears to mind his fixation with Darjiin Upsurpers
>and also because of the doubled 'i'. Kazkurtum is probably from
>Zarkos as Antirius faces the Other there and the picture of him
>in the GRAY is found in Darleep. Everinus is Naverian because
>he wears Naverian Dress on the wall.

All three of these explanations are excellent! I have been looking for such a scheme for quite awhile. Merely reinforces my belief that Yelm was created as a way to unite the various peoples Khordavu would rule.

Um, not to pick nits, but the correct reduction of Glorious ReAscent of Yelm should be GRoY -- first letter of each word, with ReAscent a single word. Think of it as a Pelandan word if you need to justify this. :)

>Two things. The concept of the six parts is probably part of
>standard Pelorian Lore since the Gray Age. This referred to
>the making of humans and not to Yelm or the Empire.

Also a good point. But, the story was probably different, and native to only one people. The part about adding animals I can buy as common, but not the rest. The specific parts mentioned by Plentonius, as with the deities who contribute them, I see as another, much more subtle, attempt by Plentonius to justify his "creation" of the god Yelm.

> 'I rule in the name of Yelm. When he was brutally slain
> by the God of Murderers, His Bird flew to Rinliddi and
> became known to you as Vrimak the High Flyer.

This would also lend some claim to the Rinliddans for their superiority, since in all the myths Vrimak flew into Heaven, into the pure Sky World. I can thus see them later claiming a right to the throne greater than that of any of the other peoples.

Me>>I once toyed with the idea of writing a Pentan's explanation of the
>>Godswall (in the time when Sheng Seleris was Emperor of Dara Happa),
>>naming the 100 or so demons which Sheng Seleris could control.
>
>His demons? Nah, they are the subject gods of Peloria kneeling
>before the One True Emperor. You can even make out TakenEgi
>grovelling in servitude at III-16 right beside the Footstool
>of Raibanth.

But the 100 Demons he commands is much more fun!

>[Orlanth's ring and dragon magic]
>
>In Questlines (Farpoint Timeline) there is a dragon star which was moved

>by the Sun Heretics (I think) and drowned in the Celestial River. I
>thought the star the Exarchs moved was was that...

I have actually never received a copy of Questlines. I was talking to John Hughes about an exchange, then lost contact with him. It has been many moons now. So I am unaware of this theory. But as I said, the Lokarnos thing has been discussed with Greg, and is related to his slowing down as well. Ultimate decisions are still pending.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com