GRAY and Dragons

From: Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 23:07:19 +1200

Pam Carlson:

>Whoa! I thought FS was written LONG AFTER Yelmgatha died, that is, in
>1500 something.

Some parts about the Red Emperor are (the Lord of the Four Quarters and the War against Sheng Seleris) but the list itself dates from the seventh year of in the reign of the seventy seventh Emperor takenEgi.

>Yelmgatha supposedly found GRoY in Alkoth, which makes
>sense because it was one of the few places in DH that had NOT been
>conquered by the Carmanians.

Actually it was. It revolts when Emperor Bisoshan is enthroned which is roughly 7 years after the surrender of Dara Happa to the Carmanians. (Perhaps Bisoshan made a mistake in the Ten tests?). All the Fortunate Succession says that it has never been *plundered* when Yelmgatha found the GRAY. But it has been captured many times then and a bit more when Sheng Seleris came along.

> One could presume that Alkoth had been
>cut off from the rest of DH by the Carmanians, so GRoY may have been new
>to Yelmgatha, but maybe not to the Alkothi.

I rather think the discovery of the GRAY is like the Book of Law that was found in ancient Judea or the discovery of Justinian's Codex in medieval Italy. Everybody knew the Book was full of Great Truths but all thought the book had been destroyed by Arkat or the EWF in bygone ages. But the Book turns up in a little known shelf silently gathering dust...

Stephen P Martin:

>Now all I need
>is a way to explain the 54 year gap between when they awoke and when they
>wiped everyone out!

I suppose it was a mad summoning by someone trying to call the Dragons back so he could forge the EWF anew. But he fumbled his call so the Dragons were free...

>I agree with this -- in effect, the EWF sacrificed their ability to use
>the powers of this dragon specifically by awakening it. Maybe a groggy
>dragon is easier to control (by the EWF) than a fully awake one?

How about taking your idea of the person manifesting the dragon's powers and reversing the flow so that he can control the dragon's movements? This would account for the groggy nature as he does not have the full intellectual capacity to control the Dragon. The Dancer could always awaken the True Dragon but then he would be absorbed by the awakened Dragon Conciousness so that path is only used as a last resort.

I just realized that there's a suitable myth in KoS that can be used to simulate the EWF control of True Dragons - Orlanth and Arangorf dancing the perfect dance so that they reflected each other. So that when one was frightening, the other was ready to be frightened. Just as the EWF could use friendly dragons to control the Gods that the could use humans to control the dragons.

Did the Dragon Sun dance with Yelm in the Bright Sunlight?