Re: Diminutives and dialects

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 23:14:43 +0000

> From: "Loren Miller" <loren_at_wharton.upenn.edu>
> I think the most common diminutive in Sartar is "io"
> Frinstance, just try calling Fazzur "Fazzurio," or Elmal "Yelmalio," and
> see what kind of reaction you get, eh "Argrathio"?
Thank you: of course it is! Isn't there a trickster called Orlantio around somewhere, too?

 Jim Chapin:
> Jane Williams asks:
> "Now, how can we get these minor differences of dialect (?) and useage
> into Glorantha??? Do northern Sartarites address everyone as "love", and
> wonder why southern Sartarites get upset?"
And I said a few other things as well, as I recall. Forgetting, stupidly, that not everyone reading this list is familiar with the various British dialects I was referring to, and the punch-ups caused by them. If so many of our regional dialects weren't mutually unintelligible there would no doubt be even more trouble.

Again, this can be reflected in Glorantha: does each tribe of Sartar have their own dialect? Are they mutually comprehensible? Or do they have to fall back on Trade (or Stormspeech? Lunar, even?) to talk to each other? Or would this make the whole thing unplayable until we invent some new rules for languages?
Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #151