Common Sense

From: Michael Raaterova <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 11:42:21 +0100

Peter Metcalfe:
>>The Laurie/ Metcalfe Shargash logorrhea is a perfect example of discussions
>>that should be discussed privately until an article could be presented.
>
>Well, it was about a current place in Glorantha and thus is
>perfectly on topic here. Or perhaps we're only allowed to
>discuss only the Orlanthi and their RW parallels in such
>detail?

I didn't mind the Alkoth detail, which was perfectly on topic here. I did mind the annoying "Shargash is a part of Yelm/ Shargash is a separate deity" droning (who really cares?). When Good Stuff is buried in otherwise boring ramblings, it gets trashed with the rest, which is too bad.

People can discuss whatever Gloranthan stuff they want on the digest, but if the topics are speculative and largely irrelevant in play (what is illumination? what are the limits on divination? what is god? who was Arkat? how many Argraths?), the discussions will only serve to obscure the Good Stuff. Discussions that only have IMG-answers should be kept off-Digest.

I don't say that the Digest should be policed. No rules can keep the Digest free from non-productive "yes it is/no it isn't" debates, but we can at least try to keep it down.

If people can't reach a consensus, then they should take the discussion off-Digest and slug it out privately, if they can't agree to disagree. I'm not trying to silence anyone, i'm just trying to summon some Common Sense.

If anyone has problems with what i just said, then feel free to discuss it with me in private. I don't want to debate this [hopefully] uncontroversial proposal on-Digest.