Mononything for fun a profit

From: Klyfix_at_aol.com
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 03:43:22 -0500 (EST)

Peter Metcalf noted...

> The trouble is that when you use the Monomyth to posit that some
> people don't have a perfectly feasible invention or that they
> believe in a myth which makes their god second best compared to
> some foreign God, then you are taking the monomyth too far IMO.
> Remember it is what the God Learners created after researching
> whatever myths they could find and is not believed in every
> detail by most people. Look at the Orlanthi tales about Umath
> in KoS compared to what is written about him in the God Learner
> PoV in Wyrms Footprints. The God Learners make him out to be an
> absolute villian who destroyed the Golden Age whereas the Orlanthi
> know that he destroyed an age of unchanging tyranny. So why should
> the Solars believe that Yelm is bound in time?

         I figure that there would be an Objective Truth that is what actually happened as opposed to the localised/cult-specific slanted veiwpoints. The God Learners made a stab at objective "observations" (via heroquests) and extensive research on the world's legends. Of course they themselves were not totally objective. I figure that something along the lines of the Monomyth is a necessary thing for game and campaign purposes. Any future Gloranthan RPG is going to need something like that as trying to represent the universe from the standpoint of a dozen different culture; and assuming each equally valid, is the way to madness.

         Still, non-objective witnesses are going to have different takes on any event. And they may both be _right_, to an extent. Then again, my assumptions about the Yelmdial were actually invalid for that very reason; the Yelmies don't see Yelm as bound by time. Hmm, but could some non-Yelmites use a good old shadow producing sundial just to emphasis the idea that he _is_ bound by time?

        Another thought: the fact that Yelm casts Shadows is a rather Illuminating idea, isn't it? Pure Light emphasizes Darkness. There's a Nysalor Riddle in there, someplace.

V.S. Greene : klyfix_at_aol.com : Boston, near Arkham...