Ballistae

From: Lewis Jardine <jardine_at_rmcs.cranfield.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 13:09:10 +0000

Kevin wrote:

> The light cheroballista (sp?) is a field engine, but it is a bolt thrower.
> This is the one that is shown as mounted on wagons. Ranges in excess of
> 300 yards are reasonable. It tended to put nasty rectangular holes in
> people who got hit. I wouldn't want to bet on your armor keeping it out.

The standard Roman 1 cubit ballista (torsion engine with arms 1 cubit long)
was sometimes mounted on mule carts "chariots" (=charoballista ?spelling?).
These beasties propelled a javelin very fast (flat trajectory & accurate too).
There are some reports of these penetrating up to 4 armoured men!

Kebabs, anyone...

Cheers

        Lewis