Pre-mediaeval parallels for the West

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_toppoint.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 97 22:59 MET

Simon Phipp:
>"Bronze Age" Glorantha

[...]

>The only fly in the ointment are the Western Cultures. They are based on
>mediaeval societies and, to tell the truth, I have never felt comfortable
>with them. This is mainly because I have never rated Western History past the
>Vikings - give me the early Heroic Ages any time. If I could think of any
>model rather than the Mediaeval European one to use then I would do, but my
>mind fails me. Maybe someone else could have a go?

Well, European chivalry didn't develop upwards for quite a time after the Romans used (Frankish in the West, Cataphracts in the East) heavy cavalry with stirrup and lances as shock troops. The East Romans copied the Parthians, who in turn copied older Persian and Baktrian models. Carmania is perfect in this regard.

Some of my ideas were reprinted in Codex 3.

Think disintegrating Roman Empire rather than high Middle Ages, and the West can fit into the "Bronze Age" atmosphere. I personally think less of the Middle Ages than of the early Dark Age, so I have no problem there.