Foci, unfortunate loss of

From: Jane Williams <janewill_at_mail.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 19:40:45 +0000

> > Shamans in RQ need foci for their animistic spells.
> > But what about initiates and priests ? Do they need foci too ?
>
> I play they do (since they learn spirit magic the same way).
Same here. Nothing in the rules seems to suggest spirit magic without foci, from any source, as a possibility.

> If someone were ever captured and all his foci
> removed, it might make a difference,...
Been there, done that. It did. We were (for very good reasons) tied up and being "questioned" (if the Ikadz write-up had been available, it would have been used.) Our captors had, of course, removed all our foci. So when, during our escape, a friend needed ONE hit point returned to his leg to save it (and him) I had to use up my one-use Heal Wound on him. Not happy. Not happy at all. And I couldn't cast Bladesharp on the dagger we "acquired", as the focus was on my sword, which I didn't have.

On another occasion of being tied up, it was decided that I could still use any focus I could either see or touch. A lot of arguments (and demonstrations) ensued, but it made it clear that you need to define where your foci are in advance. And choose them carefully (My Heal 6 focus? Sure, it's tatooed on the back of the hand that - that has just been smashed to pulp - oh dear.)

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/