Gloranthan Publishing Legal Requirements

From: BiturianV_at_aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 19:41:31 -0500 (EST)

Dear Potential Gloranthan Publishers,

The new contracts and licenses which are at the center of our current Gloranthan production efforts make it mandatory that we exercise more control of Glorantha as an intellectual property.

  1. Trademark and Copyright Notices All publications that contain Gloranthan direct and derived Gloranthan content must properly attribute Trademark and Copyright status of any Gloranthan related material to Chaosium Inc. and Greg Stafford. Publications which must abide by this Trademark and Copyright status notification include
    (but are not limited to) fanzines, magazines, con books, and web sites.

The trademark and copyright attributions are as follows: "Glorantha is a trademark of Chaosium, Inc. Gloranthan material is copyright 1997 [or the year of publication] by [the individual author] and by Greg Stafford. Glorantha is the creation of Greg Stafford, and is used with his permission."

2. Independent Publications Need Approval Independent publications are still very highly encouraged, but now require official approval from Chaosium. We expect to approve the majority of such independent publications, and sell most of them through Wizard's Attic, but now we must approve the final product.

Approval will enable us to ensure that independent publications do not conflict with our own publishing plans.

3. Magazines
Magazines such as TALES OF THE REACHING MOON and, we expect, TRADETALK, are encouraged to exercise creativity at every level: as periodicals these magazines do not require Chaosium's approval before publication. To qualify as a magazine/periodical that does not require pre-approval, the publisher must take subscriptions and publish at least two issues each year.

4. The Status Quo
We are already working on professional product lines for miniatures games, fiction, and roleplaying. It is unlikely that we will approve independent publications containing new systems for such material.

Chaosium has sold the RQ trademark to Avalon Hill. Avalon Hill will no longer publish or reprint any Glorantha material. It is our understanding that periodicals covering RQ/Glorantha should be able to publish whatever they like. Non-periodical publications will require approval from Chaosium to publish Glorantha material and approval from Avalon Hill to publish RQ material.

4. Contact Information
If you have any questions about a specific product (such as a convention book or Gloranthan game), especially if you are already working on it, you should contact Rob Heinsoo (currently at BiturianV_at_aol.com) at Chaosium Inc. who will be in charge of approval.

Sincerely,

Rob Heinsoo
Glorantha Editor

Eric Rowe