Re: Hills of Gold

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 10:37:41 GMT

Moi:
> Yelmalio (and perhaps even moreso, Antirius) took all sorts of crappola at
> the HoG, and Came Through in the End.

Peter M.:
> I don't believe that doing the Quest Antirius-style will confer
> immortality.

I have no idea, personally, and wasn't claiming one way or t'other. But to pursue the notion:

> The Quest was attempted by one of the Princes of
> the Ten Tests who *succeeded* in the goal of the Antirius quest
> (ie nick the Orb of the Eye Lord Elgin style) and it hasn't been
> attempted since AFAIK.

This could regarded as the same sort of "misunderstanding" as Y.ians who _foolishly_ knock lumps out of Death Lords. What profits a man if he gains Summon Medium Elemental, but loses his soul?

While I know of no evidence for a large-scale Antirian HoG quest "recently", it's impossible to say whether ritual versions are carried out regularly, and if so, in emulation of which part of the myth cycle. I'd suspect "yes" and "both", though, myself.

> Hence the Yelmalion lesson of surviving
> in face of the worst seems a tad inapplicable here from the
> Antirian PoV.

Granted, since he didn't _survive_... Depending on what/which "sort" of immortality you wanted, mind. Perhaps that's "death and subsequent resurrection" in the face of the worst. ("I'm spending this Age deceased for Mythically Taxing purposes.") The HoG myth could be seen as a stage of a Resurrection myth for Antirians, though with Yelm Imperator to hand, that may be (magically) redundant.

Slainte,
Alex.