Re: Glorantha Digest V4 #397

From: Carl Fink <carlf_at_panix.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 19:25:07 -0400

Peter Metcalfe <P.Metcalfe_at_student.canterbury.ac.nz>

>Not really. He *upsurped* the rule of the women which implies
>that he wasn't a ruler before then. Furthermore he was given
>the rule over men by the women which implies that there was
>a time when the Sun was not a ruler - he is noted for having
>given the best advice before this. This reflects IMO a
>transition between the Darsenite matriachy and the rise of a
>Solar state.

There are hints of this even in surviving Pelorian myth, IMO. ("This" being the Emperor's more humble beginnings.) And certainly I didn't claim that everyone has *identical* views.

>They would see the Sun as powerful but the concept of him as
>a ruler is not something that is automatic (insofar as a water
>buffalo is considered powerful but not a ruler).

There are no egalitarian human societies. Some are more authoritarian, and some don't have "rulers", but all without exception have leaders.

Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>

>Carl Fink posts his bimonthly demand for Similar Gods to be Equivalent,
>Equivalent gods to be Identical, and Identical Gods to be More Similar.

Demand? Nah, more like "insistence".

>(And implicitly, that they all be as Objectively Real as possible, and
>to desist with this aberrant similarity to RW mythology.)

Yup, as far as Objectively Real. And again, why bother with Glorantha if you want real-world mythology? The real world *already* exists.

Apparently I was unclear in one sentence. I meant to say, "Does anyone on the lozenge worship the Sun as a trickster?"

Oh, I can't look up Avivath, don't have the materials. - --
Carl Fink carlf_at_panix.com

". . . people everywhere -- when you strip away their superficial differences -- are crazy." Dave Barry