A little blasphemy

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 31 May 1997 14:48:59 +0200

I should be writing something else (of Gloranthan content), but since I'm suffering from a mild writer's block I'll idle some time away by presenting two blasphemous pieces to the Digest.

First, this is the story told by the renegade monk Andreon in a somewhat disreputable tavern in Sog City. He would only tell it if he trusted the listener, and if they bought him a drink or three. In the end he trusted one listener too many. He was seen hauled off by the inquisition for questioning and hasn't been heard of since.

"We are all living a lie I tell you, all of us who follow the word of the wizards. They tell you about the world, how it was created and the poweres that brought it to where it is today, but it's all a lie.

That all lived in bliss once long ago is true for sure. Men were then ruled by those the wizards call false gods. But there was nothing false about them. At least no most of them.

One people was ruled by a godling called Malkion, a son of storm and sea, Oh yes, I see you wince, but your beloved prophet was a god, mark my words.

Then the gods found death and slew the first mortal man, and each other too for that matter. Now these people I just mentioned were so horrified by this act that they said to themselves that the gods were evil if they could treat men like that. So they decided to renounce all gods.

Malkion was of course deeply troubled by this. A small god without a people who worshipped him would sink into insignificance. Thus he made up a plan. He was still a god, so he had great powers over his people. The next time he appeared before them he no longer called himself Malkion the god, but Malkion the prophet. And he used his magic to sway peoples' minds so that they believed him.

Then he told about the Creator and how he is the only god worth worshipping, because he is invisible and takes no part in the life of men.

And so it was. The people decided to worship the Invisible God after all, but all the power of that worship still went to Malkion of course.

Since the other gods gave their people places to go aftre they died, now that death was on the loose, Malkion had to tell his people something. So he made up this great thing called Solace. And people believed it since those who died could no longer be reached, their spirits out of reach for the greatest shamans. Little did they know that this was Malkion's great betrayal. Of course there is nowhere the spirits of the dead can go, so he just destroys them. That way they can't expose the lie.

The saints you ask? Well they are people who got lots of power and finally saw through the lie. Malkion found a way to use them. He invited them to join him in the ruse. They inspire and help the people and get worship in return. And they know that if they betray the secret, Malkion will destroy them like he destroys the spirits of the dead, for they are just former humans after all, not gods.

And that's what Gbaji would have told if he hadn't been framed as the incarnation of evil and destroyed."

Blasphemy 2:

It just occurred to me that Arachne Solara is really a hitherto unknown aspect of Trickster. It is now doing the ultimate practical joke: Gloranthan reality.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689