The East is Red (or at least for sale?)

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 1997 00:34:04 -0700

        I've been meaning to ask these questions for some time, but the Digests have been coming at such a furious rate lately (what, 18 in three days?) that I figure I just better jump in and ask away.

        Lunar foreign policy since the 1560's seems to be aimed at opening trade routes to the east, starting with Emperor Celestinus who "sent the first caravan across H'har As Jing bearing Kastok's Lance before them" (FS pg. 67) and continuing with the conquest of Prax and the daring assault on Karse in the Holy Country. All three routes (four if you count Caravan Alley and shippments up the Zola Fel as separate routes) are in opperation by the early 1620's. All this expenditure of blood and money leads me to ask the following questions:

  1. Who are the Lunars so hot to trade _with_ in the East?
  2. What products are the Lunars importing?
  3. What products are the Lunars exporting, or are they paying cash?
  4. Is there a serious imbalance of trade one way or the other?

        Gary R. Switzer--Aero Hobbies