Paying the White Lady

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 15:39:32 +0100

Mike Lay asks
> The Chalanna Arroy write up states that the
>cult does not demand payment, but does expect a contribution. WOuld anybody
>care to comment on what a reasonable contribution might be?

Depending on your players you might just like to ask them what they consider a resurrection/regrow limb/cure chaos wound etc to be worth - those who are exceptionally generous may find they are more likely to be helped in future, those who try and abuse the process find it harder to get help in future. Note, though that the Chalanna Arroy are, generally a non-materialistic lot, and would possibly be more likely to heal a farmer for a bag of grain than a warrior who offered them all the money he recovered on his next raid into the Big Rubble!

I think they are probably looking for service rather than hard cash, although, of course, unlike duty to your own cult, you can (often) pay (for) someone else to do it for you. An adventurer type who continually turns up at the CA temple/shrine/hospital with a variety of wounds and a pile of plunder is likely to be given fairly low priority unless they van demonstrate a change in attitude.

Another possibility is to use the price of healing as an adventure seed, maybe there is a healer who needs an escort to or through somewhere dangerous, or a parcel of healing herbs that need delivering or collecting from somewhere. Alternately an outbreak of Broo or other Malia worship may need dealing with in ways "unsuitable" for a sworn pacifist, or if you prefer a political adventure, have the CA send the character out to mediate between two feuding parties to prevent unnecessary pain and suffering.

Tim

PS. someone asked a while back what MOLAD was, I didn't see an answer, so will suggest "Masters of Luck & Death" the third (and unpublished?) Gloranthan Boardgame after WB&RM (White Bear & Red Moon, aka Dragons Pass) and NG (Nomad Gods, now available (only) in french as Les Dieux Nomades). IIRC it was set in the Holy Country and the mythical tournament to become ruler thereof. Look for it's release sometime around that of Heroquest (with an Avalon Hill version to be released as a boardgame companion to RQIV:AiG I expect)

| Tim Ellis           EMail tim_at_timellis.demon.co.uk                      |
| Everything I tell You Three times is true                               |

End of Glorantha Digest V4 #477