Pious Humakti and their swords

From: Thomas Gottschall <Telmori_at_t-online.de>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 1997 14:57:07 +0200

Hi everyone,

Paul Chapman had some good ideas about the Humakti geasa. Especially the example of major geasa were great.

Joseph Troxell:
> From memory, death isn't a penalty, although I certainly don't
> see this as unreasonable if the crime is grave enough (especially if the
> crime involves a loss of honor)

But death is a penalty if it serves no cause. What good Humakti wants to die in his bed from a disease rather than in battle ? Not that many.

> I don't like the idea
> of letting an initiate "perfect" one geas then move onto another. Mostly
> because some geases are quite easy to perfect (ie, extra tithing, not using
> a non-cult weapon).

I've always thought that as long as a geas hasn't been tested you don't deserve the gift. And it's also easier for the swordbrother to start with one and not will five. And don't forget that you don't swear an oath immediently but after a while o "training" your geas. Let's say Wolfgar Runesword was 10 years in a Humakti file and his geasa are that he can only use cult weapons. This was no problem for him since he never lost his sword. Now if Brenna had lost hers several times and had the choice to fight with her fists or an axe and she chose not the axe, I would say she deserved the gift far more than Wolfgar. And that's why perfection of a geas isn't that easy. It is not pious to wear no armour just because you can't afford one. The geas of not speaking could be solved by Swordspeach maybe it could be used to cast magic with your hands and your sword. This brings me to the special relationship of Humakti and their swords. Why is this tool so precious for them? Could it be that all foci of their spells are the sword or even that all spells are enchanted into the sword ? If so I see why they are so keen to keep it and not to annoy Humakt (he could shatter it!). Woe to those who've stolen one !

bye, Thomas

Visit Telmori's Forest :
http://home.t-online.de/home/Telmori/telmori.htm "Historians from England will say I'm a liar, but history is written by those who've hanged heroes." Robert the Bruce