Quantum Gods... (shroedinger's (Y)Elmal(io))

From: Daniel McCluskey (Volt) <"Daniel>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:25:10 -0700

okay, I'll bite too in this interminable subHVobjectionabalitivity debate thingy (only a nibble)

WARNING: SubObjectibibble material follows (prepare page-down sequence...)

I have to say that I believe that RW Quantum Theory is the very best model for "reality" in glorantha -- ie: The more closely you look at something, the more you change it. In the real world, to observe an electron, you MUST interact with it in some way... that interaction changes the electron in such a way that you CANNOT tell what it would have done if you had not looked at it. Every measurement changes the thing measured.

        In Glorantha, I envision the gods as being like especially "fancy" electrons... They are real, but in order to see what that reality is, you have to interact with the god (HeroQuest along one of the god's myths) EVERY time you walk the gods path, you change the god. The closer you get to really "knowing" the god, the bigger the changes you make to the god, and the less you (or anyone else) CAN ever know about what the god "would be like" had you not learned the secrets you did. Small Quests that give limited understanding of the "real" god (say, Initiation ceremonies) have a very limited effect on the nature of the god. Large Quests that give Deep understanding of the god and its powers (Arkats quest for Death) MUST irrevocably change the "Reality" of the god (storm thane Humath becomes death god Humakt). For those looking from a distance (humathi initiates who never heard of Arkat/Humakt) The change isn't likely to matter -- some spells may work better/worse than in grandad's day... but mebby granddad was just tellin' tall tales? Should we send all our Priests off into the Godplane to find out (likely never to return -- leaving no priests) or just keep on keepin on, and stop trying to cast that summon sylph spell that don't werk so good no more...

        So, in order to "ask (Y)elmal(io) which one he is" for Everyone, you would have to force him to be one or the other, forever Forcing him into that "state" for Everyone. Otherwise, he really IS just a probabilty somewhere between Both and Neither. I know it sounds wierd but it IS the reality of Quantum Physics, which is the current best scientific model of the Real World(tm).

        If something as simple as an electron in the RW can be Objectively UnKnowable but real, why can't the exact nature of Gods in a fantasy universe be the same???

</USELESS PHILOSOPHY>

sorry, I really should just let this thread die... im really sorry... danm