Non-Scottishisms.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 03:54:05 +0100 (BST)

David Dunham:
> Does this mean Sartar doesn't have bagpipes?

According to Tales, Sartar has (bag)pipes, and who am I to argue?

> Or just that you don't play 'em?

Don't play 'em, and don't eat haggis, was my point. And if Sam Philip's evidence is to be trusted, Sartarite haggis is just as bad. Personally, I hesitate to drag too many things with such shamelessly Scottish connotations into Sartar, as a lot of them are rather wildly anachronistic for any plausible Orlanthi-Celt analogue. Brother Dog's prediliction for tartan would be a case in point (especially if you don't think Italian tomatoes count as "traditional").

> I've run a scenario from Entekosiad (at the last Glorantha-Con), and have
> fairly extensive notes on a board game derived from it.

That sounds intruiging. What exactly does said board game cover?

> Good question; I recall Cults of Prax mentioning the potatoe bread served
> by the Seven Mothers cult.

Dan Quayle subcult? ;-) I'll blame J. Danforth for the near-endemic "seperate" too, given half a chance.

Paul Chapman asks (and my mailer seemed to frustrate previous attempts at answering):
> what does "Slainte" mean?

It means "good health", "cheers", etc, esp. when accompanied by a quaff upon a repeatedly partially fractionated beverage.

> For some reason I envisage an acute accent above the 'e'

Nope, though in Scots Gaelic it does have a "grave" over the "a". Not in the other branch of Pan-Q-Celtic, though (understandably, as it doesn't support said feature).

> Please enlighten me (but don't Illuminate me, SVP)!

Now, be fair, if I'm a God Learner, then I can hardy be an Illuminate _too_. Being hung for a sheep rather than a lamb is one thing, but getting lynched twice would be a bit rough.

Slainte! (especially mine)
Alex.