Objectivity in myth

From: Simon D. Hibbs <S.Hibbs_at_fcrd.gov.uk>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 10:36:41 +0100 (BST)

Martin Laurie:
> divergence? So to create a game - playable effect there must be
> some form of objective truth so one or the other player knows he's
> right or wrong and when to back down or not?

Martin Dick :
>No, what I'm saying is there must be some form of objective framework to
>resolve the mythical conflicts which seem to be part and parcel of the
>Glorantha that Greg has presented.

This objective framework would be a satisfactory set of HQ rules, which Greg has been trying to supply for well over a decade, but the difficulty of the task has so far proved too great. In the interrim, the best course I can see is to take it on yourself to investigate the nature of myth yourself - read Jung and Joseph Campble and develop a feel for mythic structure and processes.

Martin Dick counters the statement that objectivism implies that only one cultural view in Glorantha must be correct :

>I think this is as much a straw man as the extreme subjectivist
>viewpoint. My reading of the objectivist camp and i could be wrong, is
>that in campaigns where there is a clash of cultures you really need some
>way of determining the results (and possibly even the victor) of that
>clash.

I have seen people on the digest vehemently argue that there must be one single demonstrably true mhythic history of glorantha and that, effectively, all cultural myths are either objectively true or false depending on how closely thay agree to this monomyth. I know this flies in the face of everythig Greg says about the nature of myth and the failiure of the God Learner monomyth methodology, and the primary sources such as Cults of Terror, but that's what some people here seem to be demanding.

What you are arguing sounds eminently reasonable

Martin Laurie:

> Glorantha DOES have these kind of gods! Theistic worship is entirely =
> based on the belief in the reality of their deities. I don't dismiss
them
> as being purile or of no value. I _do_ dismiss the argument that _one_ =
> group or mythic structure of these gods is RIGHT as being purile and =
> of no value. What I value is divergence and cultural identity expressed
=
> through myth, worship and religion.

Martin Dick :

>Me too!

Of course, you are both purely talking about the theistic forms of religion. Don't forget monotheism, shamanism and mysicism. Remember - in Glorantha these views are all equaly valid and 'true'. Saying that 'glorantha is a world where the gods are real' is, at the level of this discussion anyway, a hopelessly simplistic and partisan statement. Kralorelan mystics and Malkioni philosophers would disagree for a start!

Simon Hibbs