The nature of myth

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 00:26:52 +0200

Simon Hibbs:

> In the interrim, the best course
> I can see is to take it on yourself to investigate the nature of myth
> yourself - read Jung and Joseph Campble and develop a feel for mythic
> structure and processes.

Just bear in mind that the Jung/Campbell view of myth as the tangible evidence of psychological artefacts is only one of many theories of the nature and workings of myth _in our world_. Read 'The Nature of Greek Myths' by G.S. Kirk for an excellent summary of five alternative theories, apart from a lot of interesting analyses of greek myths of course.

> Saying that
> 'glorantha is a world where the gods are real' is, at the level of this
> discussion anyway, a hopelessly simplistic and partisan statement.
> Kralorelan mystics and Malkioni philosophers would disagree for a start!

Would they really? Wouldn't they rather disagree on the "nature and personality" of the gods, and foremost how mortal people should interact with them?

Jane:
>The alternative theory, that Yelmalio prefers sunflower seeds to all
>other foods, proves beyond all doubt that Yelmalio is a hamster.

No no, it proves that the original animal companion of Yelmalio was not the vrok hawk, but rather a parrot! He pockets all the seeds to feed Polly.

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689