Re: Roar?

From: David Weihe <weihe_at_danet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 97 19:17:39 EDT

> From: mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au (Michael O'Brien)
> Roar?
> Howard Fielding growls:
> >Did anyone else watch the Network Premier of "Roar" last night? Not
> >perfect but [IMO] a big leap forward. Those Auzzies do it again!
>
> As an Aussie (and even one who works for a television company), I've never
> heard of this 'un.

It just started. Shaun Cassidy (ex-Hardy Boys and Tiger Beat heartthrob) read "How the Irish Saved Civilization", and promptly misunderstood the whole thing. He has instead the Romans of AD 400 taking over Ireland, being fought by some young prince and a motley band of escaped slaves and run-off peasants. It was set in that period because Cassidy claims that no one much knows what was going on, then.

I *do* know that the Romans were never so stupid as to believe that they could profitably civilize the Irish by conquest. Also, if I recall, isn't AD 400 about the time that Finn MacCumhal was flourishing? If so, then we know a fair amount about the period, even if it does have to be first decoded from legend into mundane facts and theories.

> >Overall pretty good show, despite the fact that they appeared to be
> >too Worldly and over-educated!
>
> Ah, is this another Hercules/Xena/Sinbad spin-off?

Alas, another complete rewrite of perfectly fine legends in light of modern-day sentiments. I have no idea how Hercules (that's Herakles, dammit!) is going to get those 50+ natural sons who turned up at his funeral and decided to conquer Mycene in his memory.