Arkati Generals/Arkati Cults

From: Nikk Effingham <wal_at_eff.u-net.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 21:52:55 +0100

Arkati Generals

Joerg Bautmater (on the classification of the the Arkati generals):

>IMO a confusion on the part of Mike Dawson or more likely his Gloranthan
>alter ego classifying the Stygians,

More than likely. However, it is in ToTRM and ToTRM is (semi-)official. Since it is not overpoweringly dangerous to my campaign I would prefer to work it into the background than claim Mike is wrong, after all in doing so I will probably add a certain amount of depth to the lands of Otkorion.

>Reading this, I came to think of the "King (/Hero) Below the Mountain" myth
>common in European mythology, e.g. Arthur/Artus, Barbarossa, Holger Danske,
>and others (e.g. Roland in Moorcock's Elric), ready to emerge when the need
>is high and the time (and other conditions) is right.

Perhaps. Maybe there were other generals, whose hiding places were discovered and they were slain, maybe others are trapped still in Statham Well with Arkat??? A whole story could be written about it.... Valsatar would probably hide in the Northern Orlanthi lands, hidden by his friendly Humakti. Goriant probably hid in the HeroPlane, as he has a Hero Cult, maybe in Humakt's Lodge. Mabodinarne would, IMO, find an ironic hiding place in the Jrusteli themselves -- his staunch belief in the Creator, and his disdaining of Heretical ways, combined with his lenient beliefs of Malkionism would allow him to easily hide in the Jrusteli Empire itself. Maybe it was *him* that summoned the others???? I'm not sure if I like the idea of the generals dissappearing completley, and only appearing at the end of the Age, but certainly hiding away for decades at a time.

>>Which of them are still on the Mundane Plane at the moment??
>
>None, IMO. Not yet, considering the Arkat prophecies for Ralios.

Probably lots of people claim/pretend to be the three generals.

>I tend to differentiate Henotheism from Arkat's Stygianism proper.
>Henotheism seems to be older than Arkat's state-religion for his Dark
>Empire, and was IMO a side-development of Malkionism in the regions where
>Malkionism and Lightbringer missionaries met and mingled, i.e. in Slontos
>and Tanisor, keeping traces from 1st century Malkionism (Serpent Kings' era).

>From the Grey Age, in the aftermath of IFWW, I presume. I clearly remember
this being on Nick Brooke's Homepage, where the Malkioni suddenly discovered that these evil pagan worshippers wanted exactly the same as they did.

>Ingo and I are currently trying to figure out some of the details of this
>process. IMO the three rivals are a leaders from this era, and I have the
>suspicion that at least one of them is from a God Learner tradition...

Please tell me more......

Arkati Cults

One of my players has recently expressed a desire to join a sect of Arkati other than Arkat Kingtroll (in Troll Gods) and Arkati the Liberator (in ToTRM). What are the other major sects like?? Nameably Arkat Chaosbane, Great Arkat and Arkat the Destroyer. Are they like Saints? Sorcerous cults with no Rune magic or fully fledged Rune Cults. Is Arkat Chaosbane a Saint cult with the Blessing of detecting any and all chaos or is it a mix of Humakt/ZZ/Storm Bull Rune magic with the division of Initiates and Rune Lords???

Plus, I never did understand what the cult of Arkat the Destroyer actually *did*.

Peter Tracy:

>Actualy I'm a Duck, and proud of it!

Oh, I'm sorry, I've heard there are Heroquests for solving these problems :)

Nikk E.

Nikk the Broo Shaman of Thed
http://www.personal.u-net.com/~eff

    "If absolute power corrupts absolutely,