Evil Trolls ?

From: Paul.Harmaty <Paul.Harmaty_at_aig.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 20:03:15 -0400

Nick Brook tells us:
> Trolls Eat Babies! Trolls are, therefore, Bad. Just because, in
> their insensate violence towards all other forms of life, they
> occasionally kill Chaos as well as Farmers, Game Animals, etc.,
> does *not* mean they are "a Good Thing". Trolls are scary, evil
> monsters to those Orlanthi who live near them; and the opinions
> of those Orlanthi who don't hardly matter, now, do they?

In my campaign, set in and around the Kings Tower in eastern Sartar the trolls are the scary, dangerous monsters that live next door. However, they are not usually a threat unless you are "within there dish". This is the result of careful negotiations between the human clan chief, Durhan Wellfed (Issaries Golden Tongue) and the Sazdorf clan. The trolls have accepted that humans live in the area, but humans must live "outside of our dish". As the trolls explained it "Things in our dish are for eating". It's a simple and agreeable treaty. Humans venturing into Battle Valley are subject to "Troll Law" (i.e. being eaten). Trolls leaving Battle Valley are subject to human laws. It isn't perfect and "renegades" from both sides have caused trouble, but the trouble has never escalated. Such is the power of a negotiated treaty between civilized peoples.

It didn't seem profitable to Durhan that human's should spend every night and all of Dark Season worrying about troll raiders. His willingness to deal with the trolls as honorable people has earned their respect. Durhan has even encouraged a human Argan Argar trader to establish a troll tavern & trading post on the border of the troll dish. Darkeye's Den has been a big hit with the trolls and has resulted in a mutually profitable trading relationship. This tavern/trading post is another key for reducing the tension between the races.

This has been the situation for about twenty years. A wise, farseeing leader, Durhan is now old and about ready to leave this world. Everyone wonders what will come in his wake.

I rejected the stereotypes and made the trolls people. The players have respect for the trolls and don't hate them just because they are trolls. Whenever it's necessary to enter or cross Battle Valley, the players have been reasonably sure that they could negotiate their way past troll opposition. They have usually been certain they couldn't fight their way through. In my mind that's been a big plus to role-playing.

Paul Harmaty
Dragons live forever, not so little boys - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -