Ducks/Trolls/Undead/Familiars/Yanking Chains

From: Simon Phipp <simonphipp_at_netpass.ru>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 18:51:08 +0400

So, 6 Digests over the weekend, and I thought I could leave early.

Sandy Petersen:
> Illuminated persons, as is well known, have no afterlife.

As Lunars are well known to eat babies and Sorcerers, as is well known, consort with demons and Pentians are well known to sleep with Horses - -.....

V.S. Greene:
> What exactly does that mean?

More Chain-Yanking from SP, I think.

Christoph Luehr:

> Do Stormbulls wear armors ?

Only if they want to live for very long.

> The romans wrote that the celtic warriors fought without
> armors, naked.

Obviously, this happened, but I would hazard a guess that the really effective, seasoned Celts wore as much armour as any other contemporary people.

> I can at least imagine that some very wild Runelords would avoid wearing
armor.
Maybe, if they had other abilities - Berserkergang, for instance. Orlanthi Stormbulls may use Woad, others may use magic in combat, but a good Iron mail shirt is a lot more resilient than relying on magic, in my opinion.

Carl Fink:
> Shamans of swamp tribes (like ducks) presumably contact the swamp
> spirits to get protection from the rot.
And Delecti regularly dips his Zombie in the equivalent of Sheep Dip in order to clean them up......
Undead Lords must have some way of keeping their beautifully pickled underlings from harm in those nasty swamps.

Michael Raaterova:
> What if Delecti isn't the bad guy after all, but really a heroic martyr?
> What if he is really combatting some greater evil, keeping it under lock
> and chain so it won't escape into the world?

Hurrah! Sense at last! He saved his people from the Infernal Horde, preserved a measure of the Tranquility of God Time in his Marsh, has preserved his folk from harm and has given them a measure of immortality. Now all we need to do is to find out what he is gearing up to fight against (I believe that Delecti expects the Infernal Horde to return from the North and West in order to plunder Dragon Pass again and he is making sure that this time he is good and ready to stop the Monster Army).

Bill Thompson on my cunning Dragon Pass tactic implied that Dragonewts would have to regain their bodies in order to be reborn. I think that this only happens if they died dishonourably or their bodies were being used for wrong purposes (being armour is a "wrong" thing). If Dragonewts voluntarily gave themselves to Delecti, there is nothing wrong with them being reborn and having their old bodies wandering around.

> So perhaps the way to solve Delecti is to send in a troop of Dragonewt
> warriors. Delecti would have to keep fighting them off, again and again
and
> again....

I was in a scenraio once where we were fighting a Vampire (RQ2) who was guarded by hundreds of identical Zombie Dragonewts, from Crested to Beaked to Tailed Priest and finally Full Priests. It turned out that the Vampire had killed and skinned a dragonewt hundreds of years ago and kept killing and zombifying the dragonewt as it kept coming back. We killed the Vampire, gave the skin back to the Dragonewt (as we were their friends, except for my character who had killed a Dragonewt, skinned it, made some armour, then discorporated and killed the avenging Newt in Spirit Combat - RQ2 was GOOD). Thomas Gottschall pointed out the flaw in my Dragonewt Tactic (ah, well it's been 7 years or so since I played DP) but pointed out the other good tactic which also works - use Dragonewts stacked with a Zombie Chain and watch the chain build up with no disadvantages. Ducks and newtlings are also good, but they die permanently (no loss there).

Someone else ??
> I'd propose that the duck trickster
> is in a subcult of Eurmal; the duck trickster would never harm another
duck
> (except maybe an outcast)

Of course, Tricksters are well known for obeying rules like "never harm another duck".

Joerg:

> Do we expect that in East Ralios, whose Orlanthi are Bemuri-descended,
> fertility period is limited to that of cows? In Helby (Galanini
territory)
> to that of mares? In Kralorela, where a major part of the population is
> descended from dragon Hsunchen (according to Genertela Book), once per
> century or so?

Actually, Yes. Why do you think the Dragon Hsunchen died put and the Gerbil Hsunchen flourish?

David Cheng:
> Curses on Michael O'Brien, and Rob Heinsoo, his inspiration, for daring
> suggest that Ducks have some kind of unnatural "relationship" with
Delecti
> and his undead minions.

- -..
> Delecti's Marsh would probably creep out across the surrounding plains if
it weren't
> for the Ducks' vigilance.

Delecti supports and looks after the Ducks who repay his protection by trying to destroy the Upland Marsh and the Undead, for that is their treacherous nature.

Tal Meta:
> Has anyone attempted using a herd-man as a familiar?

I ran a series of scenarios based around a Thanatari who would capture Lhankor Mhy cultists, drug them up, use Alter Creature on them and then make them into his familiars with extended INT (he regenerated lost INT up to species max, so he didn't care). The familiers were then released, thinking they had met a Lhankor Mhy Angel, having received a Gift From God and had access to an Oracle who would whisper secrets to them at night. In this way, he hoped to subvert the local Lhankor Mhy Temple (and would have succeeded if it wasn't for you darned kids....)

Going home now. In Ireland next week, so my mail nomad days will continue.

Simon

Simon Phipp <simonphipp_at_netpass.ru>

"'Every breath you take, every step you take, every move you make,  I'll be watching you' - That's Police Talk" - Sledge Hammer!

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #111