Herdmen

From: Andy Sutton <Andy_at_aztecnology.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 23:54:20 +0100

Daniel Wrote

>I doubt a herd-man has mouth-muscles which would be developed enuf for
>speaking, or such a tongue either, tho that may not be so difficult to
>train.

Ok, I agree that vocal cords and muscles would be atrophied from lack of use, but some training would soon let any language skills be used.

>I really doubt they even have human-like vocal-cords tho.

I don't think I can agree with this one. I think that the agreement between the tribes of Prax which separated men from the animals indicates that Herdmen will have the same base physiology as Gloranthan men.

>They also have a rather fat gut from digesting so much fiberous plant
>material, and there should be other things which distinguish their
>bodies from those of humans.
>A familiar in one could be taught to keep itself clean and to stand
>straight and act like a human.

> Here are my questions: Do herd-men have beards? Do they even have the
>same hair-patterns as humans? Does their hair turn grey and do they get
>old enuf for that to happen? Do the males often go bald? There could be
>all kinds of small differences. Do they look much like one of the human
>races? Are there different "racial traits" among them?

>Little things to consider.

> Daniel

IMO I think that the agreement between the tribes of Prax which separated men from the animals indicates that Herdmen will have the same physiology as Gloranthan men, any difference in appearance will be based around diet and exercise patterns. The life expectancy of a herdman will probably limit any evidence of baldness and greyness. As to looking like any of the human races and racial traits, I think that herdmen look like any other of the plains people of Prax and any differences between them will be as obvious as the difference between say, a bison rider and a zebra rider.

I wrote this without re-reading Sandys stuff so I might be way out from the consensus here.

In my experience herdmen are MGF and one of the uniquely enjoyable things about Gloranthan RPing. I'm sure we all could probably relate tales about the first time we encounted herdmen, mine included a niaive Sartarite Orlanthi trying to accuse a bunch of rhino riders of being either canabals or ogres!! MGF