Re: Herd-Men

From: Kevin Rose <vladt_at_interaccess.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 1997 02:15:47 -0500 (CDT)

Daniel Said:
>And now I get around to actually looking at sources. Borderlands
>Referee's Handbook, page 27: "Herd-men look exactly like humans to the
>UNTRAINED EYE BUT THERE ARE DIFFERENCES...Herd-men are herbivorous - they
>can live on LEAVES, GRASS, BARK and other vegetation of the chaparral.
>While they are CLOSE ENOUGH (implying NOT the same) to humans to
>interbreed, any young will be unintelligent herd-men 50% (that is pretty
>darn close tho) of the time."

Yes, but in the same way an awakened bison looks amazingly like a normal bison. The distinctions are not physical, but behavioral. A little later in the book it says:
  "Beast training also measures a morocanths ability to tell a beast from a person after a ten minute inspection. One who speaks is obviously a person, but there can problems with mute humans. Is that mute a herd-man, a human in the last satges of Brain Fever, or a spy trying to sneak into your herd for cover? Is that impala just a beast or is it a rune lord's intelligent allied spirit?

   "Members of other praxians tribes have an ability to make this distinction. This ability is important, because while it is permissable to eat herd creatures, it is cannibalism to eat people of any race. If the attempt to make the distinction is a fumble, the inspector will come to the wrong decision. If the attempt is inconclusive, a miss, the being will be forced to live live off the chaparrel for one week. If it thrives it is considered a beast. If not, it is considered a slave."

>What about explaining the digesting of cellulose without saying Herd-Men
>have four stomachs? Can we say there is some simple difference added
>magically so that they can do what we can't, but without there being much
>difference? Magically added cellulose-digesting enzymes?

Magic would be my answer. Trolls can live off air or rock, both of which are markedly lacking in nurtitional value. I find it easier to allow a critter to live off grass than air. Don't worry about enzymes, it just works. People have decided that light curves in Glorantha, so I hardly think that biochemistry is something to worry about.

As to the distinctions between tribes in Prax I would suggest that they are less than might be expected. One of the primary occupations of the male Praxians is planning and executing raids to carry off female Praxians from other tribes. So there is a pretty constant interbreeding between the tribes.

The only exception might be the impala people. I'm not certain that an Impala can carry an male impala rider and a normal sized adult female.

Kevin

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #122