Campaign Timing, Headhunting, Southpath, Birds/Bats

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 18:18:34 EDT

I do not offer the following as a judgement on Hasni, since whatever time you need to run a campaign is the best time scale.

In Diff Worlds 28 Greg Stafford said that his campaign generally progressed one season in Glorantha per RW month. Thus, two years of RQ play would equal about 5 years of game time.

Whether Greg actually _kept_ that timescale I don't know. And, his preference for a rapid campaign makes sense if you consider that this is about the time he was working on Pendragon, whose timescale is even faster.

 "Richard, Jeff" <Jeff.Richard_at_metrokc.gov> Head-taking Orlanthi

>I'm not Pam, but I am the GM for ToDP - so I am probably a good person
>to answer this one. And the answer is: NO. The Heortlings are not
>head-takers (unlike the Ralians, maybe the Talastari and probably the
>Harandings). Another little fact - the Heortlings are not kilt wearers
>but they are horse-riders.

While most Sartarites are not head-takers now, I will differ from Jeff and assert that they were in the past. No, I take that back -- some of them still are in the 1620's. Look at the Dragon Pass boardgame -- one of the native Sartarite units is called Headhunters. Look at the god Than, whose mythos specifically mentions Ginijji in the original write-up -- he is a headhunter. Nick Brooke's story about Mister Fox implies headhunting, and I believe this was intentional.

I believe that one of the original Dragon Pass tribes were active headhunters in the Darkness, and that at least a clan or two has kept this tradition ever since. I also believe that the chaos entity Than originated not as some chaotic entity in the Darkness, but as an Orlanthi headhunter who eventually went too far, and became chaotic himself. It is a fine line, using a foe's head as a magic weapon, and using it as a chaotic magic weapon.

Southpath
In response to Andrew Bean's questions about the Southpath, this is not something which I know. This is the model Greg told me he wanted for the Southpath, and it fits with the descriptions in Elder Secrets and GRoY.

Let's see, myths can be almost anything, keeping in mind that 99.99% of the people of Gloranthan do not realize that this is the case -- they see the planet rise, and they see the planet set, and few of them know how it works. All they know is that these planets rise within a specific area of the sky; many of them will have realized that the starting point is moving at a regular speed.

They know that these planets usually set within a fairly large area, but sometimes they set to the south or north of this area. Some of them may have figured out that the area moves, but only a couple of select small groups have figured out that there is a pattern to it, and only one of those groups has figured out the pattern with enough accuracy to predict its movements.

I suppose a couple hundred crystal domes, moving in the proper rotations, could cause this physically. I don't much care about that aspect, myself.

Birds and Bats
I think the current GRoY mythologies heavily imply that bats were birds who betrayed Yelm. It can certainly be interpreted that way, anyways.

I don't think trolls would believe bats were birds originally -- they would probably say that birds were bats who betrayed the darkness and decided to hunt/fly during the daytime. Ducks in reverse -- they betrayed the Darkness to worship Yelm, and were cursed to no longer be able to see in the Dark. Some of them realized their errors later, and after a time of proving their devotion to the dark, were given back their ability to see in the Dark. Owls, for example.

Don't know what trolls would say about cats, though -- they probably stole the ability to see in the dark.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com