Population stuff.

From: Alex Ferguson <abf_at_interzone.ucc.ie>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 04:56:12 +0100 (BST)

Rich Ohlson questeth for numbers:
> My campaign is currently centered on Karse, and I was wondering if
> anybody has decent estimates of the size of the city.

According to RQC: 2500-7500
According to G:G: 6000-25000

(Both estimates from map symbols, as you may have guessed.)

> Second, their is a town watch/local militia. Technically, they would be
> members of the Lunar Army, though a large portion of them would be
> recruited from locals and less concerned with drilling and real battle.

A town watch, proper, certainly wouldn't be an official (never mind actual) part of the Lunar Army. The Watch Commander would be a Lunar, or at least a Lunar appointee, though. If "martial law" is in force, then there is no watch per se, and being drunk in the street gets you a good kicking from beefy SIZ 16 chaps in full armour, unlike your accustomed level of molly-coddling. While "Provincial" areas can raise army units, I think only thoroughly "pacified" regions do so. So any "militia" groups in the city are likely to be either imports, as part of the occupation force (such as from Tarsh, most obviously), or are Restive Natives. Type B individuals who end up in Category A are known technically as Collaborators...

> What is the standard size for a Lunar Regiment? 1000?

Yup. What year is your campaign set? A single regiment might be on the light side, depending on the distribution of other forces in the area. Depending on exactly what they're there for, a more "mixed" force might be better, perhaps of several "detachments" if a multi-legion force would be excessive. (Mind you, I suspect Tarsh War/Tales may give an over-optimistic impression of how easily and efficaciously done this is. Certainly no-one would send two half-regiments, especially of similar sorts, if one full regiment could do the job.)

> What size of a town watch would be appropriate for a city of 10,000?

Not sure, depends on all sorts of local civic nonsense... In almost all Orlanthi settlements, any sort of "town watch" will be almost entirely (very) part-time, so the total number of "watchmen" will be about an order of magnitude greater than those stomping the streets on any given night. More "Malkionised" areas, such as Heortland cities, though, may tend towards this less. I beg you, no Street Judges, though, please! ;-)

> Would an additional 500 make up a decent militia?

Not sure what you mean. The number of people who'd be willing to co-operate with the Lunars in "keeping the peace", or the number of warm bodies the local big-wigs and clans could field if they really, really had to (and wanted to)?

> Is 500 soldiers excessive for a Palace Guard?

Depends who's in the Palace...

> In an emergency, would it be exessive to think that a good 4,000 people
> could come to the defence of the city?

Very much depends on the emergency... You're assuming something the Lunars and the locals would "agree" on the way to deal with, I gather? (Unlike the sort of "emergency" where Group One immediately slaughters Group Two, or vice versa.)

Cheers,
Alex.