Deep Hunter=Unknown Hunter=Zong?

From: Gary R Switzer <gswitzer_at_loop.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 1997 22:35:45 -0700

        While thinking about possible hunter gods for the Ducks I ran across the passage in KoS describing Ironhoof's pursuit of the Lady of the Wild where after visiting the tent of Odayla to get Odayla's blessing, Ironhoof does the following:

        "Ironhoof did not set out to pursue the Lady of the Wild. Instead he tracked down the Deep Hunter, whose black tent is so large that it covers all of the world where he lives. Inside the tent is a pot of pitch, and the Deep Hunter was making lures when Ironhoof arrived." (KoS p.103) Ironhoof gets Deep Hunter's blessing and succeeds with his quest.

        My idea is that the Deep Hunter is the hunter god of the Beast Men who is worshipped when hunting prey that is nocturnal or lives in dark places, while Odayla is worshipped when hunting animals with a diurnal cycle. This would give Ducks (and Beast Men) a source of magic to make gigging frogs, setting trotlines for catfish, catching crayfish and whatnot easier. IF Deep Hunter=Zong, maybe it's a version of Zong without all the Uz baggage (eat the dead, etc) attached? Sandy? Anyone?

Gary R. Switzer--Aero Hobbies