ducks adaptability

From: Sérgio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 15:46:04 +0100

Sandy Petersen (GD V5#127):
> One of the central important facets of duck
> existence, in my opinion, is that they fluidly adapt the local human
> culture to their needs. The ducks of Sartar are good Orlanthi. (...)
> Of all species in Glorantha, ducks are the best at
> slipping into the local society and fitting in perfectly. This is one
> reason they're such a mystery - they actually abandon whatever past =
and
> whatever gods they used to have in favor of the local ones. NOTE: if =
the
> Lunars actually manage to take over Sartarite culture, I predict that
> within three generations the ducks will all be good Lunars (...).=20
  1. Why is the adaptability of ducks such a mistery? Ducks are weaker = then humans and other intelligent races so they must adpt to survive. = Why do you consider that such behaviour when taken by ducks is a mistery = and don't make the same reasoning when thinking about humans? The truth = is that humans are even more misterious: they are the only race that = worships ALL major panteons in Glorantha. This is realy weird.
  2. IMG what you say is the typical example of human myopia when = analising duck's behaviour. Ducks adapt and change... at the skin level. = At a deep level they are very resilient. IMG ducks' behaviour is very = similar to what you see in some RW colonised cultures. Think about = africans: they were forced to incorporate catholicism so they go the = church and they are true believers... but they keept their traditional = beliefs in spirits, magic, etc. The same happened in south america where = the same person that goes to the church in the morning goes to the = candomble (Brazil) or the voodoo (antilles) ceremony at night. Ducks have their beliefs and culture which is basically the same ever = since thay came into existance. Those beliefs fit with the major trends = in gloranthan cultures and myths. When a new power cames and imposes on = them they will pay lip service to it, only to continue with their = traditional practices. In a sense, this is not very different from what = humans did and do in places lake Tarsh after the lunar invasion.

Sergio Mascarenhas