Astrology

From: TTrotsky_at_aol.com
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 14:46:51 -0400 (EDT)

Steve Martin:

<< For non-healing reasons, I have been wondering about this for quite some
 time. Because the constellations in Glorantha do not precess in the same  way that terrestrial ones do, it is harder to determine. That is, they do  precess over the course of a year, but not over the course of centuries.  How long does it take for them to precess on earth -- is it enough to  make a difference?>>

     It takes around 25,000 years for the equinoxes to precess around a full circuit.

<< I suppose the place where Lightfore rises on certain days of the year
 might be the basic determinant of a "zodiac", though there would be a lot  of other factors to take into account.

 Anybody got any views on some of the things to consider here? I don't  know enough about terrestrial astrology to start thinking much about a  Gloranthan system. >>

      Beyond simple sun-signs, the important features in RW astrology are the angles which the planets subtend to each other and the division of the houses (which depends on latitude as well as date and time of birth). Many of the Gloranthan planets also subtend interesting angles with each other, although they go through a full cycle of possibilities in a much shorter period of time than the RW ones. This isn't necesserily a problem for devising a system, but it's going to be pretty different from ours. As for dividing the houses, I don't think this is possible on Glorantha, although there might be some way to come up with a similar effect using the end-point of the Southpath or some such. I'll look into it and see what I can come up with.

Forward the glorious Red Army!

     Trotsky