Sacred Time

From: Michael C. Morrison 8-543-4706 <mmorrison_at_VNET.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 12:57:45 -0700 (PDT)

Chris Bell writes about Sacred Time:

> I always imagined it
> as a controlled, somewhat safe trip into the GodTime, where the worshipper
> becomes Orlanth or whatever God he or she is worshipping, and faces that
> deities conflicts and resolutions of the Greater Darkness and *IS* the
> deity as he or she takes their part in resurrecting the world and
> beginning Time, starting the new year.

I like this view, but it feels very Theyalan to me. Which got me to wondering, is Sacred Time universal across Glorantha? That is, do all cultures recognise and celebrate a sacred time at the end of the year that's anything like what Chris described?

The stuff about the gods resurrecting the world doesn't sound right for a Malkioni or a Kralorelan or a Doraddi, never mind a Dragonewt. But it _could_ be true that the entire world takes on an even more magical (or mystical) quality at the end of every year -- the challenge would be to explain it mythically for each culture.

I seem to recall that not everyone uses the "5 seasons + Sacred Time" calendar, so I suspect that the idea of a sacred time is not universal. But, I'd like to be wrong ... ;)

Michael

Michael C. Morrison   Santa Teresa Laboratory      Phone (408)463-4706
IMS User Technology   IBM Software Solutions       Fax   (408)463-3696
Lotus Notes ID:       MCMORRIS at IBMUSM50   IBMLink:  MORRISON_at_TORIBM
IBM Mail Exchange:    USIB47H4 at IBMMAIL     or   USIB4MCM at IBMMAIL
X.400 Address:        G=mcmgm; S=morrison; P=ibmmail; A=ibmx400; C=us