Re: Great Parry &c.

From: Mr. Tines <tines_at_windsong.demon.co.uk>
Date: 04 Nov 1997 18:18 +0000

David Cake on Great Parry
> As people by the thousand will no doubt point out, to dodge a
> special you need a special, to dodge a critical you need a critical.

It may be a house rule - it's been years since I've looked at the central rules - but isn't this just the same for parrying? It's certainly how we've always played - it reduces the "I hit, you parry" that was inherent in the system at high levels at RQ2.

> from Axe Trance (much better than comparable spells like Arrow Trance,
 if
> you have a few MPs to spare - and even just an average Allied spirit
can
> easily provide enough to get you +100% or more), then the Babeestor
Gor

If you can sensibly expend all that POW in one fell swoop. This is where temperament and campaign style differ, I feel. Burn those points, and twenty minutes later, when the next threat arises, you'll look rather
foolish. Sooner - and this might be a rogue RQ2ism - if the enemy targets the now
depleted ally with a Befuddle and gets you down the mindlink.

> Anyway, the point is pretty clear. Babeester Gor IS a really really
> tough combat cult, far more so than most other combat cults. The only
way
> to stop this becoming an issue in a campaign that includes players who
want
> to play them is to use lots of roleplaying based restrictions. Live
with

My experience may be biased by the usual camapign lifespan being about 18 months of roughly weekly sessions, but it has been my experience, that there was no real difference between the various combat cultists, except for that due to good or bad runs with the skill checks, for characters who were still well away from contemplating rune level when the campaign folded. Maybe in another couple of years, we might have scraped together the requisites.

But in the interim - there you have a game procedural, if not outright game mechanical, approach to keeping the high-level failures at bay.