Portarying Individual Heroes in Warhamster

From: Luther, Clay <clay_at_selsius.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 22:56:33 -0600

Not Glorantha, specifically, but tangentially connected:

My current game (Land of Ninja, Late Heian Period) is about to have its first mass combat. I cracked open Sandy's Warhamster rules last night from TotRM and read them. I noticed that although the rules give rules for converting RQ stats to Warhamster stats, it seems to imply that this is really for converting entire homogenous units and not really applicable for pseudo-important heroes (aka PCs).

In our case, we have one samurai character with sufficient honor, experience, and skill that it is likely that she will be given command of a few squads of men. I would like to represent this character on the battle field as a hero (along with the other PCs, who will, with the exception of a buddist, no doubtably participate in the battle directly - - although the buddhist (Jizo-aligned) may count as Nihonese equivalent of a Gloranthan Arroyan).

I'd like to hear about people's experiences with Warhamster and how they engaged PCs using the Warhamster rules. Since I will be beginning a new Gloranthan campaign in the Spring using a similar first act (Sartarite vs Lunar mass battle, circa the early 1600's), what I learn here will carry over to my Gloranthan game.

Also, I sold all of my lead figures a few years ago and have no desire to purchase more. Does anyone have an economical and aesthetic suggestion for lead-figure-army alternatives?

Thanks.