[none]

From: Dougie Crawford <DougiePunk_at_classic.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 97 00:35:34 UT

> If you are looking for something simple (such as the excellent death rune
> in ashes suggestion), it seems the Scotts would wear black or grey kilts to
> signify someone died, though how long these were worn for, I do not know.
>Nice one. And grey is easier to come by than black, too. What period of
>history are you quoting here, though? If it was a "kilt", that makes it
>pretty modern.

>Yes, Kilts are modern inventions. I should have said more generically
>Tartans which date much further back in Highlander (and Irish) history.
>Kilts are just one type of tartan.

As a ScotsmanI think there is a problem of teminology here. A Tarten is simply the pattern on the cloth - what Americans call plaid. The modern dress kilt, tailored with pleats etc. is a new invention but Scots (and a lesser extent the Irish) have always worn a garment called the kilt witch was essentially a blanket wrapped around the waist and thrown over the shoulder. A belt secured it the waist and a buckle at the shoulder. "Braveheart" got it about right:-)