Is Yelmalio worth it/ Is _GoG_ worth it? / Where are the Sun-Domes?

From: Mr. Tines <tines_at_windsong.demon.co.uk>
Date: 09 Nov 1997 17:25 +0000

###

Nikk Effingham asserts
> As for Yelmalio, his cult is laughable as it
> stands in GoG.[snip]Only once has anyone in the
> campaigns I've run/played in ever tried to join,
> and that was because he was Illuminated and just
> wanted the gifts... :)

The GoG version of that cult (like most of them) is pretty basic.

Yelmalio first - there is surely a long form in _Sun County_; the version I've used is that in _Cults of Prax_, which gives one major benefit to joining beyond the marginal benefit of gifts over geasa, and that is that this cult is the only one that teaches the skill of two handed spear plus shield, which adjusts your own hit location table, so most of the time your opponent hits your left arm and takes the shield as worn armour. Having 16+ points of armour and not having to worry about building up your parry skill can be quite tasty.

Gods of Glorantha - oh, it was wonderful at the time, despite the outrageous price it was, simply for shedding a small chink of light on all these gods that had previously just been names - - important ones like Yelm or Ernalda (you don't think I spent forty quid on RQ3, do you now) for example. But compared with the previous cults books, oh what a disappointment - only 80-odd pages of large type, and virtually zilch in the way of "the Cult in the World".

It really cheeses me off that I could go down to the local games shop and pick up now for less than I paid for GoG over a decade ago, one of TSR's parallel offerings, which are nearly two hundred pages of teeny tiny type which actually make a stab at long-form write-ups of 40-50 of their off-the-peg priesthoods (occasionally, I wonder whether there might be some closet Glorantha fans involved). A GoG mark 2 in similar format (which could pack in more stuff since it wouldn't need to include rubbish like the god's armour class and hit points) would be wonderful.

I suppose there's just the small problems of not having a system to cast it to, that systemless stuff doesn't sell, and that there probably aren't enough long-form write-ups around to do a coherent book that doesn't suffer from the problem that many of the likely market already have a good chunk of the material in scattered form. (Do we really need yet another book with the Kyger Litor cult in it, to take one painful example?)

> BTW does anyone know if Yelmalio has any Sun
> Domes in Ralios???

Without wishing to re-ignite the Elmal schism, it may depend on which god(s) you are asking about. There might be followers of the Elf Sun God in the Tarinwood and Ballin, and some of the Orlanthi might acknowledge Elmal. The only contact with Peloria, that hot-bed of Sun worship would be through Dorastor, Kartolin and dragonewt and Hsunchen lands.

Add in the fact that Arkat's Dark Empire had wide reaching impact over the whole area, and I think the balance of the evidence suggests that Sun Dome Temples are unlikely, whichever the god acknowledged.

Asking the more general question "where are the Sun Dome temples" - like, are the ones in Balazar still there? And are there any in Dara Happa? I leave to those who have peered more deeply into the arcana.

### end pegwit v8 signed text
1231eaf6434e40c9a6f8e3cccbbb7de82b0d636179ea2f6b33fa719ce7da 10013257cb56361e90b725f2c92a0d0c03cac5e61e48474e37098fc10282