Volume Prax

From: Stephen Martin <drastic_at_juno.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 19:22:48 EST

I recently had a question from Alan Dugger, about the Cult of Basmol. Since I have found a couple of oversights on my part in The Book of Drastic Resolutions, Volume Prax, I thought I would share them for those who are interested.

THE CULT OF BASMOL
Alan's question:

>The transform self spell available from Mother Mammal has a duration of
six >hours. But, Strength of Basmol causes fatigue loss and will end when the >subject falls unconscious, in probably less than six hours. How do you handle >this? Transform Self seems to have little use.

This problem never occurred to me -- I went from the spells in Gods of Glorantha, and added Transform Self from the other Hykim cults we have seen, notably Telmor, Gorakiki, and Aranea.

Remember that the primary use of these spells for the Basmoli is _not_ in combat, IMO -- I would think they are more commonly used in hunting.

So, on consideration, I would suggest the following: Strength of Basmol works as written. If his prey or enemy is defeated before he falls unconscious from FP loss, he or she can continue on as normal. He will be able to make full use of the Strength of Basmol spell if he again enters combat, up to the 6-hour duration of the spells. If he falls unconscious, however, Strength of Basmol ends, thus ending the Transform Self spell as well. If it has been less than 15 minutes since casting, Lion's Head and Keenclaw might still be in effect, but not for long.

NOTES ON THE CULT OF EIRITHA
I blew my Cut & Paste skill roll, so part of the spell description for Bless Woman ended up attached to the description of Birth Song. Move the last sentence:

"Because it results in girl births about nine times in ten, it is a woman's secret, kept secret from the men of the tribes."

from Birth Song to Bless Woman.

I apologize for the large number of typos in Volume Prax (usually involving hyphenation), and especially for the loss of the last three lines of the Biturian Varosh narrative on page 19. My program blew away a certain type of formatting as I was preparing to go to print. I corrected all of the errors I found, but had very little time to proofread, because of my commitment to have the book available at Gloranthacon V in British Columbia. In the case of the Biturian narrative, I corrected the problem, and the program promptly blew away my formatting again, this time without my notice. God, I hate computers!

I will check my error-marked copy for any other important fixes. Those who wish to read the last couple of sentences of the Biturian narrative should go to Chaosium's Web Page:

www.sirius.com\~chaosium\glor-main.html

Stephen Martin
The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com