various matters

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 04:58:43 PST

Hsunchen in Pamaltela:

In addition to the already mentioed Basmoli.

Spider-hsunchen are mentioned in the Troll Gods (Aranea tribe) as well as some insect hsunchen - mention is made IIRC of humans that heard the giant locusts of Tarien in the Gorakiki cult writeup).

Argrath's Saga mentions the Bat People who fought Harrek when he set up his kingdom in Goan. I presume they're extinct after 1625 for obvious reasons...

Nikk:

>Yelmalio is a Sun God? But the the cult
>venerates Yelm as the Sun, does it not? I can see Yelmalio believing
>that the Sun is sacred, all powerful etc... but not that Yelmalio
>*is* or directly derives power from it, which is what I'd class a Sun
>Cult as being.

Well what else do the Yelmalions worship? Their God is explicitly worshipped as a Sun God by the elves. Yelm OTOH is not seen solely as a Sun God by his Dara Happan worshippers. They maintain that the glowing orb in the sky is merely his lowest essense that can be comprehended by mortals (cf GRAY). The people of Sun County IMO would take this view and then equate Yelmalio as being the glowing orb.

>Secondly, I had always assumed that the Elmali/Yelmalio schism has
>occured centuries ago, if not millenia (in the case of Sandy, the
>Elmali karked it in the first age), as oppossed to about 60 years.

It is known Monrogh to have been a person living in Tarkalor's time and since he is the founder of the current _cult_ (as opposed to the aeons old _worship_ of Yelmalio or Elmal), the schism occured then. Prior to then, there was no schism as only elves worshipped Yelmalio and Orlanthi Elmal and never the twain shall met. In this case, Sandy is not authoritative but merely indulging in the perfectly reasonable habit of changing an aspect of the published gloranthan corpus to something he is happy with.

Lastly there is no direct evidence for Elmal to have karked it. It was introduced by the Lunars to South Peloria and has replaced AFAIK the Elmali population there (save for the land of Vanch). As far as we know there are still Elmali in Ralios and Dragon Pass.