Cats and Dogs

From: Maria or Michael <michael.raaterova.7033_at_student.uu.se>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 21:59:05 +0100

I proposed that orlanthing shepherds use sheep dogs, and that Voriof could in fact be brother dog.

David (of the Dunham flavor) said that
>Greg has been quite emphatic
>that the Dragon Pass Orlanthi don't have them [=dogs]. Again, I'm not sure
>I >agree with him that alynxes fill the same roles, but for whatever
>reason, you
>won't find dogs in Dragon Pass. (Think of it as equivalent to the kosher
>rules in modern days.) In my game, you will find dogs among the Ralian
>Orlanthi, and of course among any Balazarings who worship the Orlanth
>pantheon.

Jeff concurred with:
>As for the use of dogs in herding, it does appear that the Heortlings
>mythically and culturally disparage the dog in favor of the domesticated
>alynx.

Personally, i find 'domesticated alynx' to be a rather oxymoronic expression. Wouldn't it be sacrilege to domesticate an lynx? I agree with Jeff that the heortlings disparage dogs in favor of alynxes. The heortlings also disparage the filthy goats in favor of sheep and cattle, yet i can't recall anyone saying that they don't have goats.

In Far Point where Yinkin himself is known to hunt, and the Yinkiri Clans trace their lineage back to Yinkin, no one would dream of domesticating such sacred creatures. When the alynxes deign to visit a stead, it treated with courtesy and respect. It is definitely not enslaved and forced to perform demeaning tasks like helping the lowly cottars herd their sheep.

That stead which an alynx chooses as its lair is blessed. If it chooses someone from the stead as its hunting companion, the stead is twice blessed.

The dog, OTOH, is an unclean creature, fit only for such lowly tasks as chasing rats and herding sheep. Who in his right mind would even think that alynxes should be the companions of ringless sheepmen?

Well, apparently Greg does. Obviously he is wrong.

Michael Raaterova

<.sig omitted on legal advice>

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #232