Monrogh, forgetting names

From: Jane Williams <jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 19:42:15 +0000

Oliver asked:
> BTW I'm sure it's somewhere in the Digest but what's the
> derivation/origin of Monrogh, i.e. to make my question clearer what's
> the source for him?

After a quick look through:
1) Sun County: he's a sub-cult, spirit of reprisal, and source of the lantern spell.
2) King of Sartar pp196-197
3) Rune-Quest Con '94 conpendium: "The Birth of Elmal" by Greg, and "The Cold Sun" by Steve Martin

Was that what you were after?
If you were trying to find out enough to fill out the character, note the interesting similarities between his ancestry and Venharl, the King of the Colymar who wiped out the Karandoli (KoS, various places).

On forgetting the name of a god: I'm not sure if it's appropriate to this case or not, but any religion that regards names as sacred, and therefore does not reveal them to the entire population, is in danger of this happening. Even if the Lunars did manage to wipe put all worship of Orlanth, I don't see anyone forgetting his name very fast. But if only the priests use the name of a god, and the population refer to him by titles, you're in trouble if you lose the priesthood. Perhaps one of the titles will become the new name.
I'd guess there's more of a danger of this if the deity was a foreign import to start with: the name will be harder to pronounce (and therefore remember), and there will be less in the way of links to the deity in the myths of other gods in the area.

Here's a thought for you: we know Elmal joined Orlanth's household by marrying his "horse-loving daughter". Sounds like the Orlanthi had a horse-goddess at one stage. What was her name? (And don't say "Hippoi": she's even less a child of Orlanth than Elmal is).

Jane Williams jane_at_williams.nildram.co.uk http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~janewill/gloranth/