GloranthaCon Down Under Web-Page; Ul-Rika

From: Michael O'Brien <mrmob_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 20:50:23 +1000

G'day all

GloranthaCon Down Under web-page

Check it out! See what's happening at the second, biannual antipodean Glorantha-fest, taking place on the Australia Day weekend, next January:

http://www.sd.monash.edu.au/~mdick/GCDU/index.html

Ul-Rika the Weathergirl

David Millians writes:

>My query, though, concerns the role of the Weather Girl. Knowing
>the penchant of Reaching Moon Megacorp to plant a tongue firmly in its
>cheek, I recognize that much of the character may be playful in nature.
>But what else is there to the role? Is she related to Entekos or Kalikos?
>Most all other characters seemed to have clear links to one or more cults
>and factions. Does anyone have any of this information for the Weather
>Girl?

This was one of the characters I helped create for LoM. David Hall asked me to base her on Nicole Kidman's character in "To Die For" (Celeste Wolf's scenery-devouring performance in Victoria brought this to life magnificently!).

As LoM is taking place again at GloranthaCon Down Under in January, I won't go into too much detail about Ul-Rika's somewhat, ahem, colourful and popular background. However, she leads the cult of Molanni, goddess of the calm air, and through it helps control the weather in the Empire, ensuring that crops are given time enough to grow and ripen. Part of her role is supporting the annual Kallikos icebreaker expeditions, which do battle with the ice demons on Valind's Glacier and prevent Peloria suffering the freezing winters of old. Each night she uses the fabled "pointy stick" to send a gentle scouring rain to wash the accumulated grime and filth into the waiting gutters, leaving the splendid city gleaming and shining each morning. Her other major responsibility is controlling Moonboat access to the City of Glamour.

Cheers

MOB

>From the Notes from Nochet files

End of The Glorantha Digest V5 #247