Yanafali, Telmori, Gods!

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 01:16:17 EST

Peter Metcalfe
>Lastly I'd think any 'chaplains' come from within the Red Army
>cult of Yanafal Tarnils. The Seven Mothers cult is a provincial
>cult and only found there.

Support for this can be found in "Gods and Goddesses of the Lunar Empire" in Enclosure, where the total number of Seven Mothers worshipers _inside_ the Lunar Empire is said to be approximately 3,000 (mostly in Raibanth), compared with 12,000 for Yanafal Tarnils alone, and 100,000 for the Red Goddess.

Richard Olson says
>The question I keep seeing, and tried to deal with on my own for a bit,
is >whether Yanafal Tarnils' cult is a stand alone cult or a subcult of another >cult.

IMO, the answer is self-evidently simple, from the original Seven Mothers cult write-up (pertinent details are now on the Chaosium web page): it is both. A member of the Seven Mothers who gravitates towards Yanafal could go and join the full cult separately. Similarly, a Yanafali who tired of the Red Army could retire to the Seven Mothers Yanafal subcult, and eventually drift over to one of the other Seven Mothers instead, without having to worry about those pesky Spirits of Reprisal (if the Lunar cults even have them).

Similar to Orlanth -- in some places, Orlanth Adventurous is a separate cult, not just a Wind Lordy subcult of the full Orlanth religion. But movement from the subcult to the full cult is possible, in the right circumstances.

Nick said
>1) Doesn't seem to be the case from the story of Hon-Eel the Artess
>(though admittedly she did curse-or-bless the Telmori of Sylila to
>be "in wolf form forever").

If I decide that I think all Telmori transform on Wildday, what Hon-eel could have done was a HQ to change the curse so that it took effect on Full Moon Day instead of Wildday. Thus, inside the Glowline, these Telmori would forever be wolves. Has some great novelic implications when one of these wolves (or its descendants) finally travels outsideof the Glowline, and becomes human again! Could be cool.

Jane is her normal helpful self:
>KoS p145, about 1613:
>"The rebels were most of the powerful tribes of the Quivini,
>including.... some outlawed Telmori tribesmen.."

Goram Whitefang is one of them, I imagine, from the Sartar High Council write-up in Wyrms Footprints.

Duncan Rowlands
>Sorry to disagree with you Paulo but why do you assume that Cursed
>Telmori asuming wolf form go beserk?

I agree with Duncan here -- since Gods of Glorantha specifically says that Basmoli Berserkers go berserk, but does not say so of Telmor (neither does either published Telmor write-up, nor any RQ2 or RQ3 werewolf write-up), I find no evidence to support Telmori in wolf-form going berserk. They lose much of their intelligence, but as someone else pointed out, you can be clever and wily without having the full INT of a human. Hell, I am sure there are wolves out there who are smarter than a lot of people!

Erik Nolander is brave indeed!
>As far as I can tell, one of the reasons that the Red Goddess as
>special, is that she was born within the terms of the Compromise, and
>thus not subject to its laws. If I remember correctly, this is noted as
>the only time a god/goddess has been created within the Compromise.

First of all, this is not quite true -- Nysalor was also born/created within Time.

Note, however, that both deities were created from pieces of deities (or other Divine stuff) from the Gods Age.

I once had a theory that the reason Nysalor and Rufelza were so successful, is because they are attempts to circumvent the god called Time. Note that Nysalor's era is often said to have been a return to the Golden Age, and the Red Goddess' links to Time are self-evident.

I note that Zistor, as a clockwork deity, also fits this role quite well. This would explain why nothing is remembered of why Nysalor's era was so different -- it was a different type of Time within his glow. If he had been able to spread his glow throughout all of Glorantha, Time would have changed everywhere. This is also true of Rufelza, I think.

>What strikes me as odd is the fact that there seem to be more gods who
>also weren4t born during the Godtime, notably Dormal, Pavis and most of
>the Lunar gods. So, the Red Goddess birth does not seem as singular as
>it is described.

These are not truly gods, they are heroes, though admittedly most of them don't seem to have had much of a patron god -- they seem to have been independent heroquestors, Pavis especially armed with strange magics which gave him an edge in dealing with his foes.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com