Sun Dome Military

From: nillo <nillo_at_tao.agoron.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 19:14:21 -0500

Being totally ignorant of military history, I'd like to pipe in on the Gloranthan end. As a Glorantha fan, I'm interested in how Gloranthan militaries conduct warfare. This is no doubt a common digest subject, but I feel that it would be more prudent to focus not on tactics used by the Swiss or Ancient Greeks, but by the Full Moon Corps, the armies under Argrath and the Pharaoh's Armies from the Holy Country. I'm also curious as to the composition of Godunya'a armies, the ancient militaries of the Jrusteli and the EWF, and that most mysterious entity, the Kingdom of War. This is the direction I'd like to see the current Sun Dome pike discussion heads towards. I'm interested in weapons, tactics, formations, and most especially, how magic and divine power manifest on the battlefield... from my understanding, the presence of the Gods and Magic on the battlefield take the place in Glorantha, as this unique facet defines what makes warfare on the Lozenge different from wars on our world, in ancient times or modern. While I have no doubt that without magic an equivalent earthly ancient army could defeat it's equivalent Gloranthan counterpart... with magic and the intervention of the Gods, an ancient earthly army would have as much chance as versus a modern day battallion.

Chris Bell
nillo_at_tao.agoron.com