re: Horse technology; Carmania

From: David Dunham <dunham_at_pensee.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 15:06:04 -0800

Sergio Mascarenhas wondered

> what 'technology' is used by the different mounted warriors
> in Glorantha? Are any of the developments mentioned above substituted by
> other alternatives, namely based on magic (for instance, in some places the
> mounted warriors could substitute stirrups and spurs by 'command' like
> spells; and special saddles could be substituted by some 'glue to mount'
> spell cast on the moment of the charge).

I believe that (since the First Age) everyone has the stirrup. Fortunate Succession p.93 suggests that the saddle was introduced during the Jenarong Dynasty, and stirrups "came much later."

It wouldn't surprise me if some people had better saddles; in my game, the Grazers can make magical saddles it's harder to get knocked out of.

Oliver Bernuetz wondered about Carmanians. My uninformed take is that they do try to maintain a balance, but that it's hard to tell whether you're in balance, and every so often someone wakes up and realizes, "Holy Idovanus, somehow we've slipped to the Light Side! We must be more careful to include more Dark!" A few generations later, all that Dark Side emphasis makes someone wake up and start the pendulum back the other way.