Rootless/rootless elves, Plentonic dating

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 1997 00:00:41 EST

My, my, funny how the incipent holiday has all of a sudden slowed down the Digest. Good -- 6 a day was beginning to wear me down!

David Cake (is _he_ a false David?) says:
>And elves - remember, a significant minority of elves are
>'Rootless' and are expected to join strange cults, associate with
strange
>people, etc. According to their social norms, yes, they are 'damaged',
but
>only minorly. And I have a lingering suspicion that some 'Rootless'
elves
>are perfectly fine, but as they don't WANT to spend their whole lives
>serving Aldrya, but aren't bad enough to be called 'Renegade', the elves
>refer to them as 'Rootless' as a polite obfuscation.

Um, in what way are these 'Rootless' elves different from Rootless Elves? My personal intepretation is that an elf who doesn't _want_ to be part of Aldrya is, by _definition_ rootless -- in other words, I thought this lack of Aldrya-ness was what made them be considered rootless in the first place.

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com