Nick's Wenelia, ? Ritual, Survey

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 1997 14:29:28 EST

Hmm, this is a bit dated -- somehow, it got saved as a Draft rather than sent, and I only just discovered it.

Nick Brooke gives us a glimpse of brilliance:
>It's only when you get there on the
>ground and encounter worshippers of wild Vorlan Storm-Father;
>and Wendel, child of the Lightning-Struck Oak, crazed bringer of
>divine revelations in the Darkness; and the mysterious Oak Woman
>of the deeper forests (and her sinister Council of Trees); and
>the furious Boar, defender of the wild against all who would
>profane it... well, if you're a dullard, you'd say "Orlanth, a
>local ancestor, an Aldrya/Ernalda hybrid, and a local variant
>of the Storm Bull". But if you're there when Greymane summons
>his Lion Clan warriors to sniff out his opponents, and the Wild
>Hunt begins to lash the treetops, and there's ozone in the air,
>and the Dead are starting to stir beneath the trees... well, you
>kinda wish you hadn't in believed the Monomyth quite so much.

This is way cool -- much better than the boring glimpse we got in the Genertela Book. I don't suppose there is more of this you can give us?

Sergio gives us a good post, and mentions at the end:
>This doesn't work always the same way. I tried to start discussions
about
>mounted warfare which found some responses; and on the Oasis people
>which went unnoticed.

The ritual formula is that if you ask a question or bring up a subject, and get no response, you have to ask the question or bring up the subject again. If you perform the ritual properly, you WILL get a response. Try it.

Peter Donald asks:
>Quick poll - how many people read every article in every
>Digest? Most of them? Some? Do a quick page-down through the ToC >and
hit "delete" unless they spot something that looks promising?

I do not read every article in every Digest, even ignoring double posts and reposted Digests. :) However, whereas I used to read through the ToC and skip to the stuff that sounded interesting, I missed stuff that way.

Lately, the only thing I used my Invoke "Page Down" against was the Pole Arm discussion, even when it finally became relevant. I read every Digest, and probably read an _average_ of 90% of each.

Nick left out one important person in his list, namely himself :)
>I disagree with *huge* tracts of the guff that Peter, Joerg, Stephen,
>Sergio, Martin, the False Davids, and various others may post. But I'll
>defend to the death their right to post it. If we can't indulge our-
>selves talking about Glorantha here, then where the hell can we?

Who are the False Davids, BTW?

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions