Enancing the Gloranthan community

From: Sergio Mascarenhas <sermasalmeida_at_mail.telepac.pt>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 18:13:40 -0000

Sharon Appel:
> I'd be happy to set up a glorantha-game (or something) list
> distributing out of chaosium.com, but it'd require an editor to either
> (a) dig through digest posts for the ready-to-game-bits, and
> sometimes edit them a bit more -or- (b) beg for ready-to-game-bits
> as necessary. Just digging through all the old dailys since the old
> digest you could come up with years of content, even organizing it
> by subject, but it'd take time. If anyone would love to do this, or
> alternatively thinks it's a terrible idea, feel free to drop me a line.

This seems to be much work for a single person. Why not divide G by regions / creatures / cults / cultures / issues and have different people do the editing of what they like more? I'm sure that all of us do some editing on what we like more or think is more useful for our games or interest on G. If you choose this approach, there is something you must be careful at: you must ensure the editors are *neutral* in the sense they will not sensor something that contradicts how they see G or something they don't like.

I have a couple of questions, not about G, but about the RW Gloranthan community. I know that the Chaos Society has about 180 members but I would also like to know:

One of the things many people mentioned, specialy those that have their own G home-page, was the lack of feedback on their pages. IMO Chaosium and Wizard's Attic or amateur Gloranthan publishers could do something to help give more visibility to those pages. I was thinking in a kind of rating system (based on content [meaning Gloranthan content], design, gaming potential, etc.). The actual rating could be based on the votes by people that visited the sites or by a special juri (maybe composed by people like Greg, Sandy, etc.). In the first case, special prices composed by Glorantha related materials could be attributed to people voting the sites.

A problem I have is that sometimes I would like to say something like 'I realy liked what you posted in GD vX#ZZZ'. I know from my own experience how important and rewarding a nice comment on what you wrote to GD can be. Yet, I think that if everybody starts sending this kind of messages, GD will get full with praysing messages. But i still want to tell people how much I apreciate their ideas. What I'm considering now is to start posting every 10 or 20 GD #s a message with what I liked best in those #s. Before starting to do it, I would like to know what you think about such postings.

Comments on the above?

Best,

Sergio