RE:Pamaltela

From: Sandy Petersen <SPetersen_at_ensemblestudios.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 11:03:27 -0600

Peter M.
>From what I recall of the Pamaltela book, the population of Elamle have
a four tiered caste system in which the children of >one caste will enter the next higher caste (the kids of the nobles become farmers). A Malkioni origin for the castes seems >probable IMO although the culture of the Elf Coasts is mostly pamaltelean.

        I do not believe that the Elamle cast structure is Malkioni in origin, though I suppose I could be convinced otherwise with strong arguments. The idea behind their caste system is it ensures a benign government, because the nobles must look out for the farmers (because they are their own children). And of course, everyone but the nobles gets to see their kids advance and be better than they themselves were. Obviously, the "nobles" in Elamle aren't as high & mighty as in other nations, because approximately a fourth of all the folk are so-called nobles, which is too high a percentage to be a true aristocracy, but the noble class does make all the governmental decisions.