Mostali

From: Stephen Martin <ilium_at_juno.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 00:03:27 EST

Peter said:
>No. It is stated that they are _considered_ apostate by nearly
>all other dwarfs according to the Flintnail Cult writup. Now
>with the knowledge of Elder Secrets and Different Worlds, we can
>see that their error is merely Openhandism which is not apostacy
>as such.

When the article on Gloranthan metals was published separately (in Space Gamer magazine), a note at the end specifically identified the dwarfs of Pavis as apostates, who were not immortal. Or maybe this was in the Mostal cult write-up in White Wolf, I don't recall which.

Peter again
>And Ginkizzie has been king of Dwarftown since Dorasor arrived
>(in 1550 ST) and had been distressed at the sight of riff-raff
>founding Badside (in 1490 ST). That's over 100 years of rule
>which is stretching it for an apostate mostali.

Not at all -- if you look at Elder Secrets, apostate dwarfs start aging much later than humans (on average, they start aging only _81 years_ after becoming apostate), and age only 1/2 as fast. It is unusual, but not inhuman, for a human being to live to be 100. Therefore, I have no problem with a dwarf who is 200 or even 250 years old (as an apostate). Thus, Ginkizzie has a few good years left.

Hmm, too bad he didn't rate a mention in King of Sartar, eh?

As for Isidilian being Flintnail, long discussions between myself, Eric Rowe, Shannon Appel, and Greg, while working on The Broken Council, confirmed that Flintnail is in fact Isidilian. Or, at least, he was. There are a number of clues to this in The Broken Council, in at least two character write-ups.

I realize The Broken Council is not an authoritative source (and actually, it is becoming less authoritative as we speak), but I think the intent of Greg, Steve Perrin, and Chaosium all along was that Flintnail was in fact the Dwarf of Dwarf Run. But this could still be wrong, I admit -- I am stating my opinion.

We are human -- how can we fully comprehend the abilities and thoughts of one of the Ancient Mostali?

Stephen Martin
ilium_at_juno.com

The Book of Drastic Resolutions
drastic_at_juno.com