Re: Elements

From: Nils Weinander <nilsw_at_ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 22:39:09 +0100

I am obviously failing miserably in presenting my view in an intelligible fashion. However, this is not a very important issue and I have no strong urge to "prove" that I am "right" so I'll just make a few select comments where my words have been more than duly twisted.

Nick:
> accept without qualification. You brush aside the Moon as "rather
> inaccessible" -- I can do just the same for the Air, or Darkness,
> or Chaos, or any other "element" of my choice.
- -..
> If you can "except" Lunar elementals from the general rule, then I
> can do the same to any elemental of my choosing

I didn't deny Moon its "elemental status", I just said that I think the orlanthings have more of a reason to be suspicious about it than the Pelorians have to be about the five elements, for a very simple reason: they haven't seen Moon manifestations for very long.

Also, in an attempt to dispel misreadings of my words: I do not think the Pelorians base their cosmology on the elements, just that they acknowledge them as one kind of force, which is perceptibly different from other kinds of forces.

Are there any summonable otherworld creatures other than elementals which have a very clear connection to a natural entity (air, darkness, earth etc.), and manifest as an augmented version of it? I have tried to think of one but couldn't. So now I guess someone _will_ point me to such a creature. In which case I will smack my forehead and say "of course, scrap my elemental theory".

Nils Weinander | Everything is dust in the wind nilsw_at_ibm.net | http://www.geocities.com/Paris/8689