The Freud Dude.

From: Simon Hibbs <simonh_at_msi-uk.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:15:01 +0000

on.Thorvaldson.4851_at_student.uu.se (Jon Thorvaldson) says :

Simon said that:
>>On the psychology front Sandy petersen - on eof the authors of
Trollpak
>>- - has said that, in Freudian terms, Trolls only have an id. They
have no
>>ego or superego. That's a lot more than a minor mind-set difference.
>
>And for us people who hasn't read Freud, what does that mean?

Well, ok, I won't tell you to look it up in a dictionary, I'll do it for you instead.

The online WWWebster dictionar says this :

Id : the, one of the three divisions of the psyche in psychoanalytic theory that is completely unconscious and is the source of psychic energy derived from instinctual needs and drives.

Ego : the, one of the three divisions of the psyche in psychoanalytic theory that serves as the organized conscious mediator between the person and reality especially by functioning both in the perception of and adaptation to reality.

Superego : the, one of the three divisions of the psyche in psychoanalytic theory that is only partly conscious, represents internalization of parental conscience and the rules of society, and functions to reward and punish through a system of moral attitudes, conscience, and a sense of guilt.

Supposedly, trolls emphasise the id, mostali the ego and aldryami the superego. ie :

Trolls are motivated by their instictual desires for food, offspring, social power, etc. Their lack of an ego means that they have no real sense of being a 'part of things', their lot in life is simply necessery in order to get more food, beer, offspring, etc. The only way to prevent them from satisfying their primitive needs is through force, or the threat of it. They have no moral sense (superego), hence the brutal nature of Troll society.

Mostali emphasize the Ego. Their whole purpose and raison d'etre is to work on the world machine - their conception of reality. Their whole lives are dedicated to fullfilling their need to feel usefull. Thier personal needs (id) are of minimal importance and they have no moral sense (superego) whatsoever. They simply do their job, whatever the consequences - forever.

Aldryami emphasize the superego. Their entire lives are dedicated to the protection and service of their mother Aldrya (internalization of parental conscience), and their home forest. Their whole lives are dedicated to the service of their home and people. Their personal desires and needs (id) and sense of individual achievement and possition in the scheme of things (ego) are superfluous to them.

Simon